You’ve recently sold your home and now you’re ready to get moving. There are some important things that you need to remember when you move, such as changing utilities and making sure your new home is ready to live in. To help you out on your big move, we’ve written a list of helpful instructions that you could use from packing all of your belongings, to spending your first night in your new home.
Tip Number 1 | Stay Organised
- Pack one room at a time – It can get a little messy packing everything all at once, by packing one room at a time, it can be less stressful and more organisational.
- Gather as many boxes and containers of different sizes that you can – They will all be useful for something eventually.
- Don’t over pack the boxes – The boxes will become too heavy to move and lift.
- Protect your belongings – Bubble wrap or even bed sheets can be used to protect fragile objects
Tip Number 2 | Gather Supplies Far in Advance
Will you be needing a moving truck? If you are renting a vehicle, be sure that it’s the correct size and easy for you to drive. Moving companies may be easier in that the drivers will also help you pack and keep the boxes organised and safe in the back of the truck. There are also smaller supplies to consider gathering, such as scissors or box cutters, bubble wrap, permanent markers and boxes for packing.
Tip Number 3 | How to Pack
- Start Early- Wake up fresh and energised rather than waiting until the evening and rushing.
- Pack Strategically- Remember to stay organised by packing one room at a time, not over-packing the boxes and protecting your belongings.
- Pack one room at a time- Again, staying organised and focusing on just the one room can make the process much quicker.
- Don’t make the boxes heavy
- Don’t pack air- Without making the boxes too heavy, also try not to leave space in them and make the most of their use. Soft, weightless items such as cushions or pillows make great space fillers.
- Use trash bags- Sometimes boxes can be hard to find, or you may have run out. Large bin bags can become very handy for packing those final belongings.
- Label two sides of each box- This will make it much easier to identify your belongings when unpacking them in your new home.
Tip Number 4 | Label all the Boxes Clearly
When labelling the boxes, label them room by room on two sides of the box. Labelling them with colours is also a very helpful way to stay organised.
- Make an inventory- By putting numbers on the boxes, and then listing the boxes on paper is a sure way of keeping track of your belongings in the move, and not misplacing any.
Tip Number 5 | Switch Your Utilities
- Call your utility services.
- Always keep notes and details about what is said and who you talk with.
- Ask what you will need to transfer the utilities.
- Arrange any appointments needed to transfer the utilities.
- Always ask if there are any new service discounts or ways to lower your utility bill in your new home.
Tip Number 6 | Managing Your First Night in Your New Home
To ensure that your first night in your new home is comfortable, be sure to make some of these items if needed.
- Food- Snacks, canned goods, milk and sandwich basics.
- Sheets and pillows for sleeping.
- Trash bags.
- Bottled water (if water hasn’t been turned on yet).
- Toilet paper and paper towels.
- Extra batteries.
- Plates, cups and utensils.
- Toothbrushes and Toothpaste (plus general toiletries such as soap and shampoo).
- Pet food
- Chargers for phones and laptops.
- First Aid Kit
- Wallet and money
- Initial cleaning supplies